Sunday, December 21, 2014

Nevada City Family Retreat


I was introduced to the Nevada City area this past Spring when a close friend of mine got married in Grass Valley (about 4 miles from Nevada City). I had never been to either towns and was immediately drawn in by the charm and beauty of the area.  When we needed a spot for a holiday weekend away with my family, I jumped at the chance to return to Nevada City! (Just a side-note...the pictures were taken with my iphone, before I got my nice new camera...so they really don't do the scenery justice)



We arrived at our rental home (which we found on airbnb) around 7:00 on Friday evening and had a relaxing evening at home by the fire, catching up with family and enjoying some food that we picked up on the way in.

Saturday morning started off with a home-cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon and my favorite Banana-Ginger Scones. Then we were off to the Independence Trail for a family hike. I chose this trail because it was  stroller (and wheelchair) friendly and I thought it would be appropriate for young children. The recent rains made the trail pretty muddy (therefore not stroller friendly), but it was still a great trail for the kids. The paths were wide and often had high barriers on each side, so we could let the kids walk on their own without fear of them falling off the trail. There were also no steep inclines, so carrying a child was pretty easy. The hike is about 2 miles in each direction, but we turned back before we got to the end of the trail.


After the hike we took a quick drive down the hill to the Old Route 49 bridge that crosses the Yuba River and then we headed to Nevada City for lunch.



Known as one of California's oldest and best preserved Gold Rush towns, Nevada City was established in 1849 and is still home to many historic 1800's era buildings and Victorian homes. The historic downtown is well worth exploring with a local brewery, artisan coffee shops, restaurants and cafes, art galleries, and a nice selection of small boutiques with unique items.


We arrived in Nevada City close to 2pm, and decide to get lunch at Three Forks Brewery. The Brewery had 11 beers on tap (our group tried 6 of them and everyone seemed to enjoy their choice) and a menu that featured organic and locally sourced ingredients. My husband and I had the BLT with fried egg added (delicious!) and the kids split the cheese pizza, which they thoroughly enjoyed. The meal, including beers was about $40 (pre-tax/tip). You pay at the counter and then they bring food out to the table, which I find is sometimes easier when eating with kids, so that was an added bonus. Overall, it was a great experience and I would definitely eat here again.


After lunch, we had ice cream at the Nevada City Chocolate Shoppe, and then spent some time exploring the shops.

The rest of the evening was spent back at the house, enjoying an amazing home-cooked meal (courtesy of my sister, Elli) followed by some Christmas gifts for the grandkids.

Other spots that I would like to try on our next trip to Nevada City:

Coffee at The Curly Wolf
Food at Ike's Quarter Cafe



No comments:

Post a Comment